Pranayam helps to cure and control sugar levels and keeps the mind calm, balances the interrelation between the pituitary gland and the pancreas. Pranayam is breathing techniques and asanas that help to improve emotional, mental and physical well-being. It is helpful for people suffering from anxiety, depression, and stress. It should be started under the guidance of a certified yoga expert. The popular Pranayam techniques are:
Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Anulom Vilom Pranayam reduces anxiety, depression, stress helps cure diabetes. It stimulates the brain and increases body heat. It increases the energy in the body, removes impurities in the blood. Pranayam improves the strength and function of the pancreas, improves digestion, boosts the appetite and reduces gas problems in the body.
- Sit comfortably placing the head, neck, and spine in a straight line.
- Keep the right thumb on the right nostril, the right index finger in between the eyebrows and the middle finger against the nostril.
- Close the left nostril and inhale slowly through the right nostril filling the lungs to its maximum capacity. Hold the breath for a few seconds. Seal your right nostrils with the ring finger of the same hand, exhale fully from the left nostril, pausing after each time.
- Close the right nostril and inhale slowly through the left nostril filling the lungs to the maximum capacity. Hold the breath for a few seconds. Seal your left nostril with the ring finger of the same hand, exhale fully from the right nostril, pausing after each time.
Kapalbhati Pranayam helps to cure and control sugar levels as it energizes the pancreas to deliver insulin. It balances the Basic Metabolic Rate(BMR)which controls diabetes. The Pranayam removes toxins from the body. It helps in weight loss. Kapalbhati Pranayam improves the strength and function of the pancreas, energizes abdominal organs; this is very useful for a diabetic patient.
- Sit in a comfortable posture.
- Keep your palms on your knees facing upwards.
- Take a deep breath, and as you exhale pull your stomach inside. Pull the navel back towards the spine.
- Relax the naval and abdomen and breath out. Keep your eyes closed and avoid bright lights.
Pranayam must be followed after doing some yoga poses.